until hurricane season 2006

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Viva L'analogue!

Mixtape

When you're packing to move, as I am, you often run into many procrastinators. The most recent being a really great mixtape I put together in the mid 90's. It is a Maxell XLII, 110 minute cassette tape simply marked with a multicolor paint-pen bullseye, but I of course recognized it as the Epic Alternative Rock mixtape. I made it as my greatest hits of my collection, with an emphasis on the Grunge and Alternative, so-called college radio type tracks. With no furthur ado, I present it to you.

Side One

Jane's Addiction - Three Days
1990
sets the epic and alternative tone with its sultrily whispered intro

Jane's Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual



Radiohead - Anyone Can Play Guitar
1993
a strong rarity with an exuberant chorus, giving us a larger glimpse of the greatness to come

Radiohead - Pablo Honey


R.E.M. - Exhuming McCarthy
1987
Going back to the roots of alternative with this offbeat Athens rocker

R.E.M. - Document



Sonic Youth - Bull In The Heather
1994
alternative yes, but also a nine on the danceability scale, nice job noisemeisters

Sonic Youth - Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star


Pearl Jam - Rearviewmirror
1993
don't you love it when Eddie sings along with himself singing along with himself?

Pearl Jam - Vs.



U2 - The Fly
1991
this track is in the pocket, with the Edge ripping some velcro

U2 - Achtung Baby


Nirvana - Something In The Way
1991
slowing it down a bit

Nirvana - Nevermind


Red Hot Chili Peppers - Apache Rose Peacock
1991
funkmonster psycho sex set in nola

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik


Stone Temple Pilots - Vaseline
1994
Core laid the groundwork, but Purple secured the takeover with its vintage and grungy guitar sounds epitomizing the entire genre. those guys always had great guitars, and a hell of a front man

Stone Temple Pilots - Purple


Smashing Pumpkins - Soma
1991
this one picks up where Hummer trailed off and quickly drops into Billy's pre-emo rawking and guitar strangling

The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream



Side Two

Blind Melon - Leaf To A Tree
1992
one of my favorite bands. I always thought these guys were psychadelic southern rockers and pretty much repressed the whole bee girl thing.
"I drink from the faucet, from the porch I take a pee"

Blind Melon - Blind Melon


PJ Harvey - Sheela-Na-Gig
1992
a throbbing rocker from the original Ms. Grunge. this album stomps and lumbers like a brontosaurus on hallucinogens, with its hair sticking in its smeared lipstick

PJ Harvey - Dry


Dinosaur Jr - In A Jar
1987
another oldie on the mix. Mascis is the guitar god of noisome and painful ugly beauty

Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me


Pearl Jam - Black
1991
Pearl Jam's makeout song

Pearl Jam - Ten


Meat Puppets - Backwater
1994
another group who always had great guitars and a certain beautiful ugliness

Meat Puppets - Too High to Die


U2 - Mysterious Ways
1991
alternative club-banger with the Edge whipping up an syrupy iconic riff. I always thought the video for this song was really hot

U2 - Achtung Baby


Stone Temple Pilots - Adhesive
1996
a very mature and smartly produced album from STP and the most recent selection so far. I'm surprised this made it before Seven Caged Tigers, although this is the more epic of the two, probably the most epic of the entire catalog

Stone Temple Pilots - Tiny Music...Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop


Radiohead - Permanent Daylight
1994
I like the ending

Radiohead - My Iron Lung EP


The Lemonheads - Mallo Cup
1989
I met Evan in New Orleans once. He was an asshole, but I still like his music. another early offering from the northeast crew. Where's Juliana?

The Lemonheads - Lick


Nirvana - Serve The Servants
1993
I like the surf backbeat

Nirvana - In Utero


Pearl Jam - you know, the one that goes, "I walk the line, won't you help me in the night/right..." I think its from an xmas single


Liz Phair - Stratford-On-Guy
1993
what happened to her amazing ability to create awkward phrasings like "but once I really listened the noise just went away"

Liz Phair - Exile In Guyville


U2 - Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
1993
can you tell I loved this album?

U2 - Achtung Baby


and then wouldn't you know it, I put a quick jab of maniacal laughter at the end of side two, after several minutes of dead air. a secret, surprise track to scare my pants off just now, probably 10 years after I first recorded it. awesome!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home